Smith Debnam’s lawyers are skilled litigators. Practicing in all state and federal courts, we bring or defend suits for business clients in many areas of the law, including:
- Financial services
- Contract disputes
- Construction claims
- Real estate matters
- Franchise and trademark violations
Many business litigation cases settle before suit, often through mediation. Our lawyers are experienced in reaching fair settlements and nailing them down with good documentation. But, when the case calls for court action, our lawyers are proud of the results we achieve for our clients. A sampling of favorable rulings on matters recently handled is set out below.
United States District Courts:
Our attorneys capitalize on the efficiencies of electronic filing in all three federal jurisdictions within North Carolina, and are often able to instantaneously notify our clients when pleadings, motions and orders are entered.
- Dismissal of a suit by a pro se debtor brought against several credit card lenders
- Summary judgment for a student loan lender in a case where the plaintiff alleged violations of the Fair Credit Reporting Act
- Preliminary injunction granted in favor of a franchisor against a non-paying franchisee
North Carolina Courts:
Our attorneys practice in North Carolina’s District Court and Superior Court, and at the appellate level in both the Court of Appeals and the Supreme Court.
- Attachment of assets of several defendants where assets had been hidden by corporate shuffling.
- Jury verdict awarding our client-landowner more than $2.9 million dollars for a land condemnation.
- Directed verdict requiring a seller to execute and deliver a deed for real estate, where the seller had previously signed an offer to purchase and contract.
- Domestication of million dollar foreign judgment under the Uniform Enforcement of Foreign Judgments Act.