John Sperati, a partner with the firm, concentrates his practice in commercial creditor bankruptcy, foreclosure and real estate litigation, structured settlement transfer, judgment domestication and enforcement, construction litigation, commercial litigation, equipment leasing and finance and creditors’ rights.
John uses the knowledge he gained working in the construction industry prior to law school to assist in the effective representation of his clients. His practical knowledge of the industry allows him to effectively communicate with and advise his clients to develop real world solutions for legal problems. John’s clients include general contractors, custom homebuilders, subcontractors, owners, sureties, suppliers of materials and labor, developers, engineers, demolition and salvage contractors. His representation of clients includes the protection of rights to payment on private and public construction projects, filing and enforcement of liens and bond claims, defense/prosecution of warranty claims, representation in civil litigation, arbitrations and mediations, recovery of equipment and vehicles for leasing companies.
Prior to joining Smith Debnam, John was a member of another North Carolina firm focused on construction law and he brings that strong background and knowledge to serve Smith Debnam’s client base. John was recently listed as a Rising Star in North Carolina Super Lawyers® that recognizes accomplished, young attorneys. John was nominated by fellow lawyers, who have personally observed him in action — whether as opposing counsel or co-counsel, or through other firsthand courtroom observation.
- North Carolina
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern, Middle, and Western Districts of North Carolina
- 4th Circuit Court of Appeals
- J.D. North Carolina Central School of Law, cum laude, 2003
- B.A. Parks and Recreation Management, Western Carolina University, 1991
- Wake County Bar Association
- North Carolina Bar Association
- NCBA Construction Section
- American Bar Association
- Professional Construction Estimators Association
- ABA Construction Section
- American Council of Engineering Companies North Carolina
- Greater Raleigh Chamber of Commerce, Member Leadership Raleigh 2012-2013
Awards & Recognition
- Listed among Best Lawyers in America – 2024
- Listed as a Rising Star in North Carolina Super Lawyers® 2012
- TKE Alumni Association
- Bridge II Sports – Board of Directors
My Practices & Services
- Martin & Loftis Clearing & Grading, Inc., v. Saieed Construction Systems Corp. 168 N.C. App.542; 608 S.E.2d 124 (2005)