Spend a few minutes with Joe, and you realize his passion for law is not about the law itself, but for the people the law serves to protect. He focuses on helping clients resolve issues they’ve been unable to resolve on their own, whether it’s an issue with a lease, a disagreement in a construction case or contractual dispute, or something else entirely. His motivation is recognizing that the vast majority of the parties involved in litigation would much rather be focusing on nearly anything else. Joe provides alternative solutions to his clients whenever feasible and makes it his mission to handle a client’s legal matter in the most efficient manner possible.
As a member of the firm’s construction law group, Joe represents construction companies and small business owners in lease negotiations and complex litigation matters. His clients include general contractors and subcontractors, as well as property managers, landlords, commercial tenants, equipment rental companies, and building material suppliers.
With an extensive background in lien filings and construction litigation, Joe’s litigation experience spans all types and sizes—from summary ejectments in small claims court, to collection actions and construction disputes in district and superior court, to a five-year federal class/collective action employee wage dispute. No matter the issue, clients can depend on Joe to never lose sight of their goals. He focuses on the details in preparing a case while keeping the client’s broader goals in mind. The end result is a strategy that serves both. Joe says a favorite aspect of his practice is learning about his clients’ industries and helping them to find solutions they haven’t considered.
Joe received his superior court mediation certification from the North Carolina Dispute Resolution Commission in 2021.
Joe earned his B.A. magna cum laude from the University of Richmond and his J.D. with honors from Duke University School of Law. He is licensed to practice before the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals and all federal and state courts in North Carolina.
- North Carolina State Bar
- U.S. District Courts for the Eastern, Middle, and Western Districts of North Carolina
- U.S. District Courts for the Eastern and Western Districts of Virginia
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern and Western Districts of Virginia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- District of Columbia
- Virginia State Bar
- Pennsylvania (currently inactive)
- J.D., with honors, Duke University School of Law, 2003
- B.A., magna cum laude, University of Richmond, 2000
- Certified Superior Court Mediator, North Carolina Dispute Resolution Commission, 2021
- North Carolina Bar Association; Construction Law Section; Litigation Section, Member
- Equipment Leasing & Finance Association
- Primerus Law Society
- North Carolina Creditors Bar Association
- Wake County Bar Association, Member
- Virginia Creditors’ Bar Association, Member
Awards & Recognition
- Listed in Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch – 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
- Supervising Attorney, Legal Aid of North Carolina Lawyers on the Line Program