Former Chief District Court Judge Ned W. Mangum, a Partner at Smith Debnam, is a seasoned attorney who brings unparalleled experience, know-how, and commitment to your case. Whether you’re facing a family law matter, require robust representation in civil litigation, or before a professional licensing board, Ned’s wealth of experience and client-centered approach make him the attorney you can rely on.
Ned is a compassionate and ethical attorney who will dive deep into the unique nuances of your situation. His approach is to find practical solutions that will keep you out of the courtroom whenever possible. But when litigation becomes unavoidable, you’ll be in the good hands of an exceptional and experienced courtroom attorney who has tried more than one hundred jury trials.
Ned presided on the District Court bench for over 16 years, including two and a half years as the Wake Chief District Court Judge. He has served as Wake County District Attorney and Assistant District Attorney. Over the span of his career, Ned has been involved in thousands of family law and civil cases and has seen all the mistakes, big and small, that litigants and lawyers make. He wants to make sure you don’t experience those same pitfalls.
A Raleigh native, Ned serves on the North Carolina Board of Law Examiners. He is a past president of the Wake County Bar and earned the Bar’s prestigious President’s Award for Excellence in 2014. Among his peers, Ned stands out as a knowledgeable and exceptional attorney who has taught numerous hours of Continuing Legal Education courses for attorneys across North Carolina and graduate-level classes as an adjunct professor at Meredith College. In January 2024, Ned received the Old North State Award for excellence from North Carolina Governor Roy Cooper.
- North Carolina State Bar 1998
- 10th Judicial District Bar 1998
- US Supreme Court Bar
- JD – University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill – 1998
- North Carolina State University, BA – Political Science – 1995
- North Carolina Bar Association; Member
- Wake County Bar Association; Member, Past President, Past Chair of Continuing Legal Education Committee, Centennial Celebration Taskforce; Member
- North Carolina District Court Judges Association; Past Member of the Board of Governors
Awards & Recognition
- President’s Award for Excellence, Wake County Bar Association
- North Carolina Board of Law Examiners; Member, Executive Committee Chair, Grading Committee, Past Chair, Character and Fitness Committee, Past Chair Technology Committee
- Meredith College Paralegal Program; Adjunct Professor for 20 years teaching Family Law Civil Litigation and Criminal Law
- I have taught over 100 hours of Continuing Legal Education to lawyers on topics including discovery, professionalism, trial advocacy, family law, criminal law, and procedure.
My Practices & Services
- Alienation of Affection
- Alimony and Spousal Support
- Alternative Dispute Resolution and Mediation
- Child Custody and Visitation Rights
- Child Support
- Divorce and Separation
- Domestic Relations
- Domestic Violence and Protective Order
- Family Law
- Prenuptial and Postnuptial Agreement
- Property Division and Equitable Distribution
- Separation Agreement